I am (Full) Professor of Security and Privacy Enhancing Technologies at University College London (UCL). I am affiliated with the Computer Science Department and currently serve as Head of the Information Security Research Group and Director of the Academic Center of Excellence in Cyber Security Research (ACE-CSR). Before joining UCL in 2013, I was a Research Scientist at Xerox PARC.
I am also a Faculty Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute and on the Technology Advisory Panel at the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). In 2016, I co-founded the International Data-driven Research for Advanced Modeling and Analysis Lab (iDramaLab).
Overall, I do research in the broad information security area. Recently, I have been doing a lot of work at the intersection of machine learning and privacy, as well as on understanding and countering cybersafety issues using measurement studies and data science.
My research has been published at top-tier conferences such as IEEE S&P, NDSS, ACM CCS, WWW, ICWSM, ACM IMC. My co-authors and I have received best/distinguished paper awards from NDSS 2018, ACM IMC 2018, and CyberSafety 2019, as well as the Data Protection by Design Award from the Catalan Data Protection authority, and were runners-up for best paper at ACM IMC 2014, ICWSM 2017, the 2018 CSAW Europe Applied Research Award, and the 2019 INRIA-CNIL Privacy Protection Award.
- PhD in Networked Systems, 2011
University of California, Irvine
Advisor: Gene Tsudik
Dissertation: Sharing Sensitive Information with Privacy
- BSc in Computer Science, 2005
University of Salerno, Italy
Summa cum Laude, top 1% in graduating class
During my PhD, I also spent a few months on research internships at NEC in Heidelberg (2008), INRIA in Grenoble (2009), and Nokia in Lausanne (2010).
- Paper studying QAnon on Voat accepted at TheWebConf 2021 – congrats Antonis!
- We have created a Slack for cybersafety researchers – see here if you’d like to join
- Paper accepted at CSCW 2021: “Dissecting the Meme Magic: Understanding Indicators of Virality in Image Memes” – congrats Cici and Ihab!
- Another paper accepted at ICWSM 2021: “Understanding the Use of Fauxtography on Social Media” – congrats Yuping and Fati!
- Excited to be part of be a co-lead of REPHRAIN, a new research center supported by a £7M UKRI investment on Protecting Citizens Online, funding cutting-edge research on privacy and online harms
- With Preslav Nakov, I will be co-chairing the 2nd Conference on Truth and Trust Online (TTO 2020); submit great papers and talk proposals!
- Paper accepted at ICWSM 2021: “The Evolution of the Manosphere Across the Web” & ndash; congrats Manoel!
- Paper accepted at ACM TWEB: “Analyzing Genetic Testing Discourse on the Web Through the Lens of Twitter, Reddit, and 4chan” – congrats Alex!
- I wrote a “review” paper on privacy in machine learning with the Turing, it’s now available here
- I will be on sabbatical in 2020/21
- Paper accepted at ACM SIGMETRICS 2020: Measuring Membership Privacy on Aggregate Location Time-Series – congrats Apostolos!
- Our NDSS’18 paper on membership inference against aggregate location time series was runner-up for the 2019 INRIA-CNIL Privacy Protection Award
- Three papers accepted at ICWSM 2020: congrats Alexandros, Antonis, and Savvas!
- Joined the PC of S&P 2021